Friday, May 25, 2007

Friends In Low Places

I had a chance to talk to a good friend of mine earlier this morning who was home for a couple week break from his duty tour in Iraq. He came back for his son's graduation and to see his family for the first time in over 6 months. There are a couple of other people Lora and I know that are serving in Iraq and plenty who are still stateside. What I want to say is simply this

I consider it a high privilege to count these people as my friends because they are willing to go through things and do things that I really don't want to. Sure, they don't want to be away from family for a year or more. And they don't wake up wishing they could "see some action" that might result in serious injury or death. But they're willing and they're there - one of the lowest and most volitile places on earth right now.

I know of other people who are fighting other battles at home. They're fighting divorce, depression, debt, and many other things I don't want to have to go through. These people have and deserve my support too. Their life isn't on the line, but their success or failure doesn't really effect me like our military. Win a war, I'm safer. Win a battle over depression and I'm.....all too often indifferent.

Don't forget to remember those who've served this Memorial Day, but also don't forget about your other friends in low places. Jesus came to set the captives free and they need all the help they can get...no matter where they are or what they're fighting against.

No comments: